PhilaPlace is staffed by its sponsoring organization, the Historical Society of Pennsylvania (HSP). In addition to those acknowledged here, PhilaPlace draws on the expertise of other HSP staff as well as the staff of grassroots and other non-profit organizations with whom we collaborate on special projects.
Joan Saverino Ph.D., Creator and Founding Director
Melissa Mandell, Coordinator
Dwight Swanson, Digital Media Coordinator
Ian Charlton, Program Research Assistant
Web Site Design and Development
developer of CollectiveAccess
Jennifer Coval, M.A.
Evaluation and Assessment
Minda Borun, Museum Solutions
GIS Mapping and Technology
Amy Hillier, Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania School of Design
Robert Cheetham, Avencia
Publicity and Marketing
Barry Dornfeld, Ph.D.
PhilaPlace is made possible by the generosity of the following funders:
The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage, through the Heritage Philadelphia Program
Jointly by the Institute of Museum and Library Services and the National Endowment for the Humanities. PhilaPlace has been designated as a We the People project by the NEH.
- The Connelly Foundation
- The Pennsylvania Department of Education
- The Pennsylvania Humanities Council, the Federal-State Partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities
- The Samuel S. Fels Fund
- The Wachovia Wells Fargo Foundation
- The Walter J. Miller Foundation
Historic Maps Provided By
- Art Institute of Philadelphia
- City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Project
- Drexel University
- First Person Arts
- Independence National Historic Park/National Park Service
- Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia
- Temple University Urban Archives
- University of the Arts
PhilaPlace greatly appreciates the many individuals and organizations who have donated their time to make this endeavor possible. Thanks especially to our lead partners, Professor Amy Hillier of the University of Pennsylvania School of Design and Joan Decker, Commissioner of City of Philadelphia Department of Records. Thanks also to Joan Saverino, former PhilaPlace Director, Melissa Mandell, former PhilaPlace Coordinator, Dwight Swanson, former Digital Media Coordinator, Kim Sajet, CEO, and to Kathryn Wilson, former Director of Education and Interpretation, of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. In particular we wish to thank:
Interns and volunteers, 2006-2009
Research and Writing
- Javier Garcia
- Anna Guarneri
- Daniel Guilfoyle
- Jessica Hall
- Steven Jacobs
- Randi Kamine, M.A.
- Diane Riley
- Anastasia Saverino, M.A.
- Doreen Skala, M.A.
- Amanda Zellner
- Samantha Cox
- Benjamin Dubow
- Brandon Gollotti
- Shimrit Keddem, M.A.
- Akua Nyame-Mensah
- Cathy Rossetti, M.A.
- Raeann Drew
- Arianne Edmonds
- Alana Hoffman
- Alex Mjolness
- Anastasia Saverino, M.A.
- Daniel Schwartz
- Mariel Waloff
- Elyse Wilson
PhilaPlace Advisory Committee and Community Partners as of December 2009
- Maria Aponte, Business District Manager, HACE Main Street Program, Hispanic Association of Contractors & Enterprises
- Harry Boonin, Community Scholar and Author of The Jewish Quarter in Philadelphia
- Ricardo Diaz Soto, XPenn Consulting, Community Scholar
- Joan Decker, Commissioner, City of Philadelphia Records Department
- Frank DiCicco, Philadelphia City Councilman, 1st District
- Barry Dornfeld, Videographer
- Al Dorof, Director of Publications, Bryn Mawr College
- Elaine Ellison, Community Scholar and Co-author of Voices From Marshall Street
- Varsovia Fernandez, Executive Director, Greater Philadelphia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Janet Finegar, Ph.D, Northern Liberties Neighborhood Association, Board of Directors.
- Paul Giordano, Retired Proprietor, Giordano’s Produce, South Philadelphia.
- Rev. William Green, Ph.D., Pastor, Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church
- Oscar Hankinson, Ph.D., Community Scholar, South Philadelphia.
- Amy Hillier, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, School of Design, University of Pennsylvania.
- Adab Ibrahim, Committee Member, Al-Aqsa Islamic Society
- Hana Iverson, New Media Artist
- Thora Jacobson, Chief Operating Officer, City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program
- Elaine Jaffe, Community Scholar and Co-author of Voices From Marshall Street
- Richard N. Juliani, Ph.D., Professor of Sociology, Villanova University
- Neil Kleinman, Dean, College of Media & Communication, University of the Arts
- Randy Mason, Ph.D., Associate Professor, School of Design, University of Pennsylvania
- Emilio Mignucci, V.P. Product Pioneering, Di Bruno Bros.
- Thoai Nguyen, Executive Director, Southeast Asian Mutual Assistance Associations Coalition
- Rakhmiel Peltz, Ph.D., Director of Judaic Studies, Drexel University
- Carla Puppin, Executive Director, Queen Village Neighbors Association
- Leslie Rescorla, Director, Katharine Hepburn Center, and Director, Child Study Institute, Bryn Mawr College
- Rachel Reynolds, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Communication, Department of Culture and Communication, Drexel University
- Robert St. George, Associate Professor, Department of History, University of Pennsylvania
- Fr. Vincent Saverino, Archpriest, Saint Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church
- Steve Sitarski, Chief of Interpretation & Visitor Services, National Park Service
- Ellen Skilton-Sylvester, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Arcadia University
- Vicki Solot, Executive Director, First Person Arts
- Cora Turpin, Ph.D., Community Scholar, Northern Liberties
- Christine Woyshner, Associate Professor Elementary Ed/K-12 Social Studies, and, Curriculum, Instruction & Technology in Education, Temple University