North Side of Girard Avenue
- Northern Liberties
- Related Story
- Life in a Bazaar
- Street Address
- W Girard Ave between Marshall St & 7th St
- Photograph of the north side of Girard Avenue between Marshall Street and 7th Street. Depicted in photograph are Klein's Spanish American Food Market, Elite Bakery, Package Express and Travel Agency, Inc., Avenue Bar, and Bill's Auto Sales. The grocery store was an opportunity to serve the influence of Puerto Rican Spanish Americans who moved into the area.
In the 1920s, the Spanish Grocery was a Vaudeville house. Between the 1930s and 1950s, it was Girard Movie House. In 1958, it became Klein's Spanish American Food Market.
- Contributing Institution
- Elaine Ellison
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania: PhilaPlace Collection (Elaine Ellison)
- Automobiles, Avenue Bar, Bill's Auto Stores, Commercial buildings, Elite Bakery, Grocery stores, Klein's Spanish American Food Market, Package Express and Travel Agency, Inc., Puerto Ricans, Stores, Streets, Theaters (buildings)
- Landscape & Architecture, Public & Social Life, Work
- This Item Is Unavailable For Purchase