Richard Allen Homes

Built in 1941 and named after Richard Allen, founder of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, Richard Allen Homes was one of Philadelphia's first federally funded housing projects. Planning began during the Great Depression, and the construction of the homes was intended to give a boost to the ailing construction industry and provide decent, low-cost housing to struggling working-class families. The development's system of three-and four-story buildings punctuated with enclosed courtyards was designed to have the feel of garden apartments and was regarded as a model of forward-thinking public housing. By the 1980s, Allen homes were suffering from many of the ills that plagued government-run public housing projects in cities all over the country. In 2003, the Philadelphia Housing Authority (PHA) completed a costly redevelopment of the Richard Allen Homes, part of a city-wide public housing reinvestment program. Richard Allen's old dwellings were demolished and replaced with suburban development-style semi-detached homes.

Richard Allen's most famous resident was comedian Bill Cosby, who grew up here. Longtime locals remember Cosby and his friend, the real "Fat Albert," walking up Marshall Street every week.

Richard Allen Homes displaced more people than it housed. Like many other federal "slum renewal" projects of early- and mid-20th century, the construction of Richard Allen actually destroyed hundreds of occupied row homes and erased the existing African American neighborhood along 11th Street.

By the 1980s, the residents of Richard Allen were faced with deteriorating conditions and mounting crime. The bunker-like construction of the sprawling complex that was once hailed as an example of progressive design now made residents feel isolated from the surrounding neighborhood. Federal and municipal government budget cuts slashed maintenance staff. Despite doing repairs and clean-up themselves, the residents of Richard Allen were left without real resources to contend with faulty electrical wiring, dilapidated sewage systems, and the overall decay of infrastructure and courtyards. Empty apartments—left unsealed by the housing authorities—became a convenient haven for drug users; dealers took advantage of the complex's maze of courtyards.

After the redevelopment in 2003, stricter residential requirements have resulted in relatively more affluent and stable residents who are on the path to home ownership. PHA asserts that reinvented public housing improves housing conditions, reduces blight, and raises the property values of the surrounding neighborhood. Critics of the new projects claim that the decreased number of units (the new Richard Allen Homes have fewer than half the units of the old complex), stricter requirements, and rising property values do little to lift the lowest-income citizens out of poverty and accelerates the rate of gentrification and displacement in transitional neighborhoods. Other critics have voiced concerns about the aesthetic implications of placing incongruous suburban-style homes in a brick row-house environment. But residents and PHA counter that the suburban style of the full-amenity, single-family houses generates respect, pride, and community spirit within and beyond the development.

References

Map

Map

Address

centered around 11th & Poplar, visible from 8th Street

View in Google

Tour

Greater Northern Liberties/Lower North Philadelphia

Mt. Tabor African Methodist Church Marshall Street curb market Marshall Street pushcarts mural Emmanuel Full Gospel Temple sign Exterior G. A. Bisler Paper and Box Company factory Brown St above 4th St. St. Agnes-St. John's Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church Northwest Corner of Bodine and Fairmount Ave Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church North Second Street corridor Garden Looms façade Saint Michael’s and Northern Liberties Rec Center, Three Men Talking 423 Fairmount Avenue Philip Kearny School Concilio building Friends Neighborhood Guild building, 151 Fairmount Ave. Richard Allen Homes Guild House building, 1967 Edgar Allan Poe National Historical Site Building of the German Society Wedding Party, Saint Andrew’s Orthodox Church Thomas Mifflin School Ortlieb’s Remains (Liberty Lands in Winter) Madison Court, 1988 Adams & Keen, Factory Kaplan’s Bakery Philadelphia Glass Works Orianna Hill Park Crane, Demolition of the Tannery Cigar Factory Loft exterior Becker Building Gretz Brewery Salvation Army and Historical Marker Crane Co. building sign Al-Aqsa Islamic Society building "A Full and Complete Account of the Late Awful Riots in Philadelphia": Burning of St. Michael's Church, on Wednesday afternoon, May 8 Don Quixote statue Schmidt's Brewery and Tower St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church Stetson Hat Company factory, Building 15 Stores on North 5th Street Taller Puertorriqueño Congreso de Latinos Unidos Casita North Mascher Street casita Tomasita Romero and Iris Brown Norris Square, Hancock and Diamond Streets Ukranian Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception St. Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Church Bull's Head Tavern
Prev Tour Stop 17 of 49 Next

Media

"A Full and Complete Account of the Late Awful Riots in Philadelphia": Burning of St. Michael's Church, on Wednesday afternoon, May 8. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania "A Full and Complete Account of the Late Awful Riots in Philadelphia": cover. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania "A Full and Complete Account of the Late Awful Riots in Philadelphia": St. Augustine Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania "The life and adventures of Charles Anderson Chester": Charles Anderson Chester Murdered by Black Herkles. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania 9th Street and Washington Avenue. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records A Quaint Russian church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania African Zoar Methodist Episcopal Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania African Zoar Methodist Episcopal Church Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania African-American population on 9th Street, 1880-1920. Image provided by Shimrit Keddem Agnes Hatcher: Longtime resident of Northern Liberties. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania B'nai Abraham synagogue. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania B'nai Abraham synagogue. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Basketball court at Sacks Playground. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Basketball court at Sacks Playground. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, Philad.. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Boy in Norris Square Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Brown St above 4th St.. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Budweiser's Bar. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Casita at Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Chiesa Parrocchiale Italiana di Santa Maria de Pazzi. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Chiesa Parrocchiale Italiana di Santa Maria de Pazzi. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Children at Friends Neighborhood Guild. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Children's group portrait at St. Agnes Church
Nepomucene. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Church of St. Philip Neri. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Church of St. Philip Neri from Mario Lanza Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Commentator, Demolition of the Tannery. Image provided by Jennifer Baker Community paint day at the W.E.B. Du Bois and Engine 11 mural. Image provided by Haftom Khasai Contract #S-1958 Front of Russian Church. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Convent at St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cover page of the Minutes of the Second Annual Meeting of the Pennsylvania State Equal Rights League. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Crane Co. building and St. Michael's Church steeple. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Death of George Shifler, in Kensington. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Dennis Haugh at Liberty Lands Park. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Deputy Fire Commissioner, Ernest Hargett, Jr.. Image provided by Haftom Khasai Detail of the sign posted outside the Church of St. Philip Neri. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Devotional service at Church of St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania East from Shot Tower, 1870. Image provided by Free Library of Philadelphia Easter procession at St. Michael the Archangel. Image provided by St Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church El Colobo Community Garden. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church and 4th Street. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church foundation. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church steeple. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church steeple. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Emily Squires at community paint day at the W.E.B. Du Bois and Engine 11 mural. Image provided by Haftom Khasai Emmanuel Full Gospel Temple sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emmanuel Full Temple Gospel. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Engine 11 Fire Company building. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Engine 11, award presentation. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Engine 11, group portrait. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Engine 11, group portrait. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Engine 11, group portrait. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Exterior view of Casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Firefighter Isaac Jacobs, Engine 11. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Firefighter Stephen Presco, Engine 11. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Fireman John R. Jackson. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum First Holy Communion, Madonna House. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania First page of "The Bible in Public Schools". Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Fleisher Art Memorial. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Fleisher Art Memorial. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Folk dancing at Gloria Dei Children's Club. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Free African Society Historical marker at Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Friends Neighborhood Guild building. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Front door of St. Stanislaus Catholic Church.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Front entrance of former "Budweiser's Bar". Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Front entrance of Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Front entrance of St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Front of Church of St. Philip Neri. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Funeral of Nora Tayoun. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Funeral of Nora Tayoun at St. Maron's Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gable side of 339 Fairmount Avenue. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Gazebo in Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Girls at Gloria Dei Children's Club. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Church Front Entrance and Graveyard. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gloria Dei burial ground. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gloria Dei grounds. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gloria Dei/Old Swedes Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Goal, in Walnut Street, Philadelphia. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Golden Jubilee Banquet for the Parish. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Graphic Sketch Club. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Graphic Sketch Club. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Group in front of Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Guild House building, 1967. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Guild House entrance. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Guild House Groundbreaking. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Guild House sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Guild House, under construction. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Herb garden of Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania High Altar (Hochalter) of St. Peter's Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania High-Rise and Gothic. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Historic Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church, 6th and Lombard Streets. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church Sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Iglesia Sinai Asambleas de Dios. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Interior of barbershop on N 5th Street. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Interior of Phillips Temple Christian Methodist. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Interior of Phillips Temple Christian Methodist. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Interior of St. Peter's Church in 1901. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Interior view of Mother Bethel A.M.E. church. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Interior view of St. Paul's Church, east wall. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Interior view of St. Paul's Church, west wall. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Italian Market Festival Procession. Image provided by Maria Petrone Jacob C. White Jr.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania James Family at community paint day. Image provided by Haftom Khasai James Forten. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania James Forten Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania James Forten Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Jefferson Square Park and Sacks Playground. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania John R. Jackson. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Kitchen at Las Parcelas Kitchen. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Kitchen equipment in casita at Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lady of Good Council R.C. Church, Christian above 8th Sts.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas and Casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas and Casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas mural and footbridge. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Letter from Charles R. Douglass to Jacob C. White Jr.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Letter from Charles R. Douglass to Jacob C. White Jr.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Letter from Penn Provost Charles C. Harrison to W.E.B. Du Bois. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives Lombard Street Riot Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lombard Street Riot Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Map of Octavia Hill Properties. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mario Lanza Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marshall Street: day old bakery. Image provided by Irv Orenstein Marshall Street: shoe store. Image provided by Irv Orenstein Meeting of the Pennsylvania Base Ball Association. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Model replica of the Kalmar Nyckel in Gloria Dei. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mt. Tabor African Methodist Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mt. Tabor African Methodist Episcopal Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Negro quarters. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Norris Square Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Norris Square Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Norris Square Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Norris Square, Hancock and Diamond Streets. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Octavius V. Catto. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Open air gazebo in Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Oscar Hankinson. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Oscar Hankinson, retired principal of the McCall School and longtime resident of South Philadelphia. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Parrocchia Italiana. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Pelzer Funeral Home. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Pelzer Funeral Home. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Philadelphia Athletics envelope. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Phillips Temple Methodist Christian Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Pulpit of Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Receipt from the A. J. Reach company for purchase of 6 belts by the Pythian Baseball club. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rev. William Green, Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rise of a City Church. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Robert Purvis. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Robert Smith-Shabazz in his studio. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Saint Mary Magdalen de Pazzi. Image provided by Maria Petrone Saint Michael’s and Northern Liberties Rec Center, Three Men Talking. Image provided by Jennifer Baker Salvation Army and Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Salvation Army Family Worship and Service Center. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Sanctuary of Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Santa Lucia celebration at Gloria Dei Children's Club. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Service at St. Michael the Archangel. Image provided by St Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church St. Agnes-St. John's Neopmucene Roman Catholic Church plaque. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Agnes-St. John's Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Agnes-St. John's Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Agnes-St. John's Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Andrew's Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives St. Andrew's Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives St. Andrew's Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia St. Andrew's Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Andrew's Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Augustine Church, on Fire. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Augustine's Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Maron's Church exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Maron's Church exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi church exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi church exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi church exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi Roman Catholic Church historical marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael Children at Yolka festivities. Image provided by St Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church St. Michael the Archangel annual church festival dancers, 2004. Image provided by St Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church St. Michael the Archangel annual church festival dancers, 2004. Image provided by St Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church St. Michael the Archangel banquet. Image provided by St Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church St. Michael the Archangel church hall. Image provided by St Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church St. Michael the Archangel Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church doorway. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michaels Church, on fire. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Church exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Church plaque. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Paul's Church, interior looking toward back of church. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Pauls' Church, interior looking towards the altar. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Peter's Church Annual, 1897. Image provided by Norman Yanovitz St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Philadelphia, Pa.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Philip Neri Church rectory. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Stanislaus Catholic Church. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives St. Stanislaus Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Stanislaus Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Stanislaus Grotto. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Stained glass window Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Statue of Jesus outside Church of St. Philip Neri. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Sunday mass. Image provided by Maria Petrone Swedes' Church and Swedes House of Sven Sener, the Site of Philadelphia before 1682. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Antiquarian's Delight. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Antiquarian's Delight. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Chancel of the Church of St. Maron, with Father Corkemas at the Altar. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Interior of St. Peter's Church, Philadelphia, Pa.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Interior of St. Peter's Church, Philadelphia, Pa.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Lighthouse mural. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records The Seventh Ward of Philadelphia. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives Tim McFarlane (Essene Market and Café). Image provided by Cross/Walks Title page from "Causes of the Kensington Riots explained". Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Title page from "The Dutchman's Letters to Daniel O'Connell". Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Title page of "The Philadelphia Negro". Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Tour group at Liberty Lands Park mural. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Two Neighbors. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Ukrainian Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Ukrainian Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania View of Gloria Dei church from burial ground. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania W.E.B. Du Bois at Paris Exposition, 1900. Image provided by W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst W.E.B. Du Bois historical marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania W.E.B. Du Bois portrait. Image provided by W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst W.E.B. Du Bois portrait. Image provided by W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst W.E.B. Du Bois' data card. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives W.E.B. Du Bois' receipt for printing. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives W.E.B. Du Bois' receipt for printing. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1880. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1900. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1910. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1920. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1930. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wedding Party, Saint Andrew’s Orthodox Church. Image provided by Jennifer Baker
Prev Media 1-3 of 250 Next
[X]
Prev Photo X of Y Next
Prev Photo X of Y Next