Ortlieb's JazzHaus/Brewery

Founded by Civil War veteran Trubert Ortlieb in 1870, Ortlieb's was one of the few Philadelphia breweries to survive Prohibition and, along with Schmidt's Brewery , one of the last of the great industrial-era local breweries to close. The remains of the Ortlieb's and Schmidt's plants are visible reminders of the importance of the brewing trade in Northern Liberties and adjacent Kensington. Ortlieb's Brewery ceased operations in 1981. In 1987, saxophone player Pete Souder reopened the tavern as Ortlieb's Jazzhaus, featuring live jazz every night of the week, ranging from local house players to the internationally renowned. (The brewing facilities adjacent to the tavern were finally razed in 2002). A recipient of numerous awards, Ortlieb's was listed as one of top 50 jazz clubs in United States by Downbeat magazine. Sold to new owners in 2007, the revered club endured through two decades of demographic changes and real estate development in its Northern Liberties neighborhood. In April 2010, Ortlieb's Jazzhaus closed its doors, and Philadelphia lost one of its most unique homes for jazz.

Philadelphia's long brewing history dates back to the colonial era. The 19th century marked the heyday of Philadelphia brewmasters. Traditionally, Americans consumed English ales due to the availability of the yeast. In 1840, Bavarian brewmaster John Wagner brought lager yeast from Bavaria and brewed the first lager on St. John Street (now North American) near Poplar. Lager beer was very popular among German immigrants and fueled the growth of the brewing industry in Philadelphia. In 1850, the majority of the German immigrants in Philadelphia involved in the brewing trade lived in Northern Liberties. Most breweries started out as small family operations and expanded as demand for lager increased. By 1869, there were 60 breweries in Philadelphia, and many of them were located in Northern Liberties and Kensington. In those early days of lager brewing, there were at least 20 other breweries in the vicinity of Ortlieb's. Coinciding with the immigrant population explosion and the growth of Philadelphia's industrial might, the brewing industry created jobs for newcomers already familiar with the business—usually German immigrants. German Americans' dominance of and association with the brewing industry gave them a sense of community and social identity.

In the 2000s, Philadelphia’s beer scene (both drinking and brewing) is once again thriving, thanks in part to local brewers like Yards (Delaware Poplar streets) and the Philadelphia Brewing Company (in the old Weisbrod & Hess Brewery building at Amber and Hagert Streets in Kensington), whose brews can be found on tap at the ever-increasing number of taverns and “gastropubs” all over Philadelphia. The city that boasts a neighborhood named Brewerytown now even has its own annual Beer Week, the “largest festival of its kind in the world,” featuring “hundreds of events and thousands of beers in America’s best beer-drinking city.”

References

  • Dubin, Murray. "Old Brews; History of Philadelphia Beer-Making is Traced in Exhibit." The Philadelphia Inquirer, September 25, 1987.
  • Historical Society of Pennsylvania. "Northern Liberties." Self-guided walking tour printed guide, Philadelphia, PA: Historical Society of Pennsylvania Summer History Institute, 1984.
  • Kazal, Russell A. Becoming Old Stock: The Paradox of German-American Identity. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 2004.
  • Sixpack, Joe [Don Russell]. "Right in their own back Yards: Kensington again gets a brewery." The Philadelphia Daily News, May 3, 2002.

Map

Map

Address

847 North 3rd Street

View in Google

Tour

Greater Northern Liberties/Lower North Philadelphia

Mt. Tabor African Methodist Church Marshall Street curb market Marshall Street pushcarts mural Emmanuel Full Gospel Temple sign Exterior G. A. Bisler Paper and Box Company factory Brown St above 4th St. St. Agnes-St. John's Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church Northwest Corner of Bodine and Fairmount Ave Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church North Second Street corridor Garden Looms façade Saint Michael’s and Northern Liberties Rec Center, Three Men Talking 423 Fairmount Avenue Philip Kearny School Concilio building Friends Neighborhood Guild building, 151 Fairmount Ave. Richard Allen Homes Guild House building, 1967 Edgar Allan Poe National Historical Site Building of the German Society Wedding Party, Saint Andrew’s Orthodox Church Thomas Mifflin School Ortlieb’s Remains (Liberty Lands in Winter) Madison Court, 1988 Adams & Keen, Factory Kaplan’s Bakery Philadelphia Glass Works Orianna Hill Park Crane, Demolition of the Tannery Cigar Factory Loft exterior Becker Building Gretz Brewery Salvation Army and Historical Marker Crane Co. building sign Al-Aqsa Islamic Society building "A Full and Complete Account of the Late Awful Riots in Philadelphia": Burning of St. Michael's Church, on Wednesday afternoon, May 8 Don Quixote statue Schmidt's Brewery and Tower St. Peter the Apostle Roman Catholic Church Stetson Hat Company factory, Building 15 Stores on North 5th Street Taller Puertorriqueño Congreso de Latinos Unidos Casita North Mascher Street casita Tomasita Romero and Iris Brown Norris Square, Hancock and Diamond Streets Ukranian Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception St. Nicholas Eastern Orthodox Church Bull's Head Tavern
Prev Tour Stop 23 of 49 Next

Media

"A Full and Complete Account of the Late Awful Riots in Philadelphia": cover. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania "A Full and Complete Account of the Late Awful Riots in Philadelphia": Soldier from 1844 Nativist Riots. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania 423 Fairmount Avenue. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania 423 Fairmount Avenue. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania 423-21 Fairmount Avenue. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records 4th Street, 1940. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives 814 South 8th Street. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania 814 South 8th Street. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania 819 to 821 South 9th Street-Contract S-1801. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records 9th Street Market: Origins, Continuity, Change. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania A Glimpse of the Italian District. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania A Group of boys of the Guild. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Adams & Keen, Factory. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Aims of the Friends Neighborhood Guild. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Anastasi Seafood. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Anthony's Chocolate House exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Anthony's Italian Coffee. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania B'nai Abraham synagogue. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania B'nai Abraham synagogue. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Back of Schmidt's Brewery. Image provided by Charles Veasey Banner for the Native American Association. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Bitar's Eastern Mediterranean Grill. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Brown Street entrance at Garden Looms. Image provided by Murray Rosenberg & family Budweiser's Bar. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Building of the German Society. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Bull's Head Tavern. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Burk Brothers. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Burk Brothers Tannery, American Street
. Image provided by Jennifer Baker Cannuli Brothers storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cannuli Brothers storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cannuli Brothers storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cannuli Brothers storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Casa Ravello Milk Station. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Casa Ravello, Model Italian Tenement. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Catalogue of the Library of the German Society. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Centro de Oro. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Children's group portrait at St. Agnes Church
Nepomucene. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Christian Street at South 10th Street. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cigar Factory Loft building. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cigar Factory Loft exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cigar Factory Loft front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Contract #S-1958 Front of Russian Church. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Corner of 10th and Christian. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Crane Co. building and St. Michael's Church steeple. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Crane Co. building sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Crane Company building exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Curtis Publishing Plant/Lofts at Bella Vista. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Dan Fiorella at Fiorella Brothers Sausage. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Dan Khang Nha Trang Apothecary entrance
. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Dan Khang Nha Trang sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Dennis Haugh at Liberty Lands Park. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Dyottville Glass Works. Image provided by HSP Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church foundation. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church steeple. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Emmanuel Full Gospel Temple sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emmanuel Full Temple Gospel. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania English title page of the Catalogue of the Library of the German Society. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Entrance to the Fante-Leone Public Pool. Image provided by Seth Gaines Essene Market and Café exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Essene Natural Food Market exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Essene Natural Food Market sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Exterior G. A. Bisler Paper and Box Company factory. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Famous 4th Street Delicatessen. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Famous 4th Street Delicatessen interior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Famous 4th Street Delicatessen interior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Famous 4th Street Delicatessen interior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Famous 4th Street Delicatessen interior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Famous 4th Street Delicatessen sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Fante family, 1910s. Image provided by Mariella Esposito Fante's Cart, 1906. Image provided by Mariella Esposito Fante's storefront window. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Fante-Leone Public Pool. Image provided by Seth Gaines Frank Cuneo and Italian & American Maccaroni Works. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Franklin and Brown Streets. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Friends Neighborhood Guild building. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Friends Neighborhood Guild building, 151 Fairmount Ave.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Front entrance of former "Budweiser's Bar". Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania G.A. Bisler Paper Boxes Building/Liberties Lofts Apartments. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania G.A. Bisler Paper Boxes Building/Liberties Lofts Apartments. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gable side of 339 Fairmount Avenue. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Garden Looms. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Garden Looms façade. Image provided by Murray Rosenberg & family Garden Looms inventory. Image provided by Murray Rosenberg & family Garden Looms sewing machines. Image provided by Murray Rosenberg & family Gennaro Pinto e figlio. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania German Society of Pennsylvania. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania German Society of Pennsylvania. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Glass works of T.W. Dyott. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Golden Jubilee Banquet for the Parish. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gretz Brewery. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Ground plan of Globe Mills, 1852. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Hardwick & Magee Co. Carpet Mill and Store. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Hogshead at Schmidt and Sons Brewery. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania House of Industry historical marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Interior of Anthony's Italian Coffee and Chocolate House. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Interior of Casa Ravello Milk Store. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Iris Brown: Lead gardener, Las Parcelas, longtime resident Norris Square neighborhood. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Isgro Pasticceria. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Isgro Pastries storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Isgro Pastries storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Italian & American Maccaroni Works. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Jessica and Eliza Judy Buchsbaum of Marmelsteins. Image provided by Cross/Walks Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Kort beskrifning om provincien Nya Swerige uit America. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia L'Opinione: Il Departmento Circolazione. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania L'Opinione: Il Reparto Spedizione. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lady of Good Council R.C. Church, Christian above 8th Sts.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Libby Goldstein in Southwark Queen Village community garden Liberty Lands Park mural. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lombard Street Riot Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lombardi Family Films Making Hats, J.B. Stetson Company. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mario Lanza Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mario Lanza Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mario Lanza Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mario Lanza Park banner. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marmelstein's front window on Fabric Row. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marmelstein's front window on Fabric Row. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marmelstein's front window on Fabric Row. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marmelstein's front window on Fabric Row. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marshall Street pushcarts mural. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marshall Street pushcarts mural. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marshall Street pushcarts mural. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marshall Street: shoe store. Image provided by Irv Orenstein Michele Martino / Nazareno Monticelli. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mifflin School. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mifflin School. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mifflin School. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mifflin School. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mousley Row. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mural at Liberty Lands Park. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Mural at Mario Lanza Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania North 5th St. & W. Cambria St.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Northwest Corner, 11th Street and Washington Avenue. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Nuevo Mexico Grocery and Variety Store. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Old Piers Nos. 30 & 32 South Delaware Wharves. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Older boys at university camp. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Parrocchia Italiana. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Pelzer Funeral Home. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Pelzer Funeral Home. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Philadelphia Glass Works. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Philadelphia Glass Works. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Philadelphia Glass Works. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Playground at Liberty Lands Park. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records PNC Bank at 8th and Christian. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rieger & Gretz Brewery exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rieger & Gretz Brewery exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rieger & Gretz Brewery exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rieger and Gretz Brewery smokestack. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rieger and Gretz Brewery smokestack. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Salvation Army and Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Salvation Army Family Worship and Service Center. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Schmidt's Bottling House. Image provided by Charles Veasey Schmidt's Brewery. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Schmidt's Brewery. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Schmidt's Brewery. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Schmidt's Brewery and Tower. Image provided by Charles Veasey Schmidt's Brewery drivers. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Schmidt's Brewery entrance. Image provided by Charles Veasey Schmidt's Brewery entrance on 2nd Street. Image provided by Charles Veasey Schmidt's Brewery Site. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Schmidt's Tower at night. Image provided by Charles Veasey Schmidt's trucks. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Second Floor at Garden Looms. Image provided by Murray Rosenberg & family Second Floor at Garden Looms. Image provided by Murray Rosenberg & family Second Floor at Garden Looms. Image provided by Murray Rosenberg & family Second Floor at Garden Looms. Image provided by Murray Rosenberg & family Site of House of Industry historical marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania South 4th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1880. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1900. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1910. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1920. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1930. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 9th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1880. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 9th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1880. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 9th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1900. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Southeast Corner - 9th Street and Washington Avenue. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Southwark Foundry, 1852. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Southwark Queen Village. Image provided by Gayle Green Southwark/Queen Village Community Garden. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Southwark/Queen Village Community Garden mural. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Agnes-St. John's Neopmucene Roman Catholic Church plaque. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Agnes-St. John's Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Agnes-St. John's Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Agnes-St. John's Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Andrew's Russian Orthodox Cathedral. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives St. Augustine's Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi church exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi Roman Catholic Church historical marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Michael the Archangel Russian Orthodox Church doorway. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Standard Tap. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Standard Tap. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Standard Tap. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Stetson Factory. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Stetson Factory employee. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Stetson Hat building being demolished. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Stetson Hat Co. Cavalry Hats Department. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Stetson Hat Company building. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Stetson Hat Company factory, Building 15. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Stetson Hat Company site. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Stetson Hat Company site, 2009. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Stetson Hats Building demolition. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Stetson Hats Building demolition. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Stetson Workers 1910. Image provided by Penn Historical & Museum Commission T. W. Dyott's Glass Works at Kensington on the Delaware, Philadelphia, PA. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Taller Puertorriqueño. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Taller Puertorriqueño. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Tara Real Estate. Image provided by Jennifer Baker The "Sheel" at Kneses Israel Anshe S'fard. Image provided by Philadelphia City Archives The Antiquarian's Delight. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Antiquarian's Delight. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Antiquarian's Delight. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Girls you left behind you. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Home of Six Modified Milk Babies. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Third Floor at Garden Looms. Image provided by Murray Rosenberg & family Third Floor at Garden Looms. Image provided by Murray Rosenberg & family Thoai Nguyen: Executive Director of Southeast Asian Mutual Assistance Associations Coalition. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Thomas Mifflin School. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Tim McFarlane (Essene Market and Café). Image provided by Cross/Walks Title page from "Causes of the Kensington Riots explained". Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Title page from "The Dutchman's Letters to Daniel O'Connell". Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Tomasita Romero, Gardener, Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Tour group at Liberty Lands Park mural. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Transatlantic, Blue Windows. Image provided by Jennifer Baker Vietnamese Hung Vuong Association. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania View from Our Roof View of Schmidt's Brewery neighborhood. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1880. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1900. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1910. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1920. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1930. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design West side of 9th Street. Image provided by Mariella Esposito Window of Fante's, 1956. Image provided by Mariella Esposito Women operating box assembling machines. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia
Prev Media 1-3 of 256 Next
[X]
Prev Photo X of Y Next
Prev Photo X of Y Next