Pelzer Funeral Home

Prev Story 1 of 2 Next

Established in 1937, Pelzer is a landmark of the vibrant African American community that existed here along south 3rd and 4th Streets through the 1960s. South 4th Street was a busy commercial corridor offering everything from restaurants to groceries to beauty shops. Although its African American clientele has since been dispersed or displaced, the Pelzer Funeral Home is still family-owned and operated, and continues to serve the African American community.

References

  • Levy, Paul R. Queen Village: The Eclipse of Community—A Case Study of Gentrification and Displacement in a South Philadelphia Neighborhood. Philadelphia: Institute for the Study of Civic Values, 1978.

Map

Map

Address

3rd & Christian Sts (845 South 3rd)

View in Google

Tour

South Philadelphia

Shot Tower Conveyed Site of the Southwark Soup Society Weccacoe Engine Co.'s House, and Reception of United Fire Co. of Baltimore Court having nine small houses in rear of a tenement house Mario Lanza Park banner Pelzer Funeral Home Southwark/Queen Village Community Garden Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church St. Stanislaus Catholic Church Housefronts on 600 Block of Kater Street Bedford Street Mission The Antiquarian's Delight Marmelstein's front window on Fabric Row Casa Ravello Milk Station House of Industry historical marker Graphic Sketch Club Julia and Aldo Allegrini wedding L'Opinione: Il Departmento Circolazione Vietnamese Hung Vuong Association Curtis Publishing Plant/Lofts at Bella Vista Isgro Pastries storefront St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church Verdi Hall Lady of Good Council R.C. Church, Christian above 8th Sts. Interior of Luigi Fiorella Meat Market Italian & American Maccaroni Works Dan Khang Nha Trang sign Anthony's Chocolate House exterior D'Angelo's Specialty Meats storefront Playbill for the "The Passion Play of Christ"  presented by the Filodramatic Circle Gasperinese, 1931 The Procession of St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi mural Fante-Leone Public Pool Cannuli Brothers storefront Talluto's Authentic Italian Food storefront Grassia's Italian Market Spice Company Lupita's Grocery Store storefront Paul Giordano Sr. Saigon Maxim restaurant Jefferson Square Mia (left) and Mary (right) Viola St. Maron's Church exterior Bitar's Eastern Mediterranean Grill Southeast Corner - 9th Street and Washington Avenue Washington Avenue Immigration Station
Prev Tour Stop 6 of 44 Next

Media

"The life and adventures of Charles Anderson Chester": Charles Anderson Chester Murdered by Black Herkles. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania 1910 Map of S. 4th Street between South and Catharine Streets 423 Fairmount Avenue. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania 4th Street, 1940. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives 819 to 821 South 9th Street-Contract S-1801. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records 9th Street and Washington Avenue. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records 9th Street Market: Origins, Continuity, Change. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania African Zoar Methodist Episcopal Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania African Zoar Methodist Episcopal Church Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania African-American population on 9th Street, 1880-1920. Image provided by Shimrit Keddem Agnes Hatcher: Longtime resident of Northern Liberties. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Anastasi Seafood. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Anthony's Chocolate House exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Anthony's Italian Coffee. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania B'nai Abraham synagogue. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania B'nai Abraham synagogue. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Back of Schmidt's Brewery. Image provided by Charles Veasey Basketball court at Sacks Playground. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, Philad.. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Bird cage at North Mascher Street Casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Bitar's Eastern Mediterranean Grill. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Boy in Norris Square Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Brown St above 4th St.. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Budweiser's Bar. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Bull's Head Tavern. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cannuli Brothers storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cannuli Brothers storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cannuli Brothers storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cannuli Brothers storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Casita at Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Casita on North Mascher St. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Centro de Oro. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Children at Friends Neighborhood Guild. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Children's group portrait at St. Agnes Church
Nepomucene. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Christian Street at South 10th Street. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Commentator, Demolition of the Tannery. Image provided by Jennifer Baker Community paint day at the W.E.B. Du Bois and Engine 11 mural. Image provided by Haftom Khasai Corner of 10th and Christian. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Cover page of the Minutes of the Second Annual Meeting of the Pennsylvania State Equal Rights League. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Curtis Publishing Plant/Lofts at Bella Vista. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Dan Fiorella at Fiorella Brothers Sausage. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Dan Khang Nha Trang Apothecary entrance
. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Dan Khang Nha Trang sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Dennis Haugh at Liberty Lands Park. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Deputy Fire Commissioner, Ernest Hargett, Jr.. Image provided by Haftom Khasai El Colobo Community Garden. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church and 4th Street. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church foundation. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church steeple. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Emily Squires at community paint day at the W.E.B. Du Bois and Engine 11 mural. Image provided by Haftom Khasai Emmanuel Full Gospel Temple sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emmanuel Full Temple Gospel. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Engine 11 Fire Company building. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Engine 11, award presentation. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Engine 11, group portrait. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Engine 11, group portrait. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Engine 11, group portrait. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Entrance to the Fante-Leone Public Pool. Image provided by Seth Gaines Essene Market and Café exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Essene Natural Food Market exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Essene Natural Food Market sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Exterior view of Casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Famous 4th Street Delicatessen. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Famous 4th Street Delicatessen interior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Famous 4th Street Delicatessen interior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Famous 4th Street Delicatessen interior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Famous 4th Street Delicatessen interior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Famous 4th Street Delicatessen sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Fante family, 1910s. Image provided by Mariella Esposito Fante's Cart, 1906. Image provided by Mariella Esposito Fante's storefront window. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Fante-Leone Public Pool. Image provided by Seth Gaines Firefighter Isaac Jacobs, Engine 11. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Firefighter Stephen Presco, Engine 11. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Fireman John R. Jackson. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Frank Cuneo and Italian & American Maccaroni Works. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Free African Society Historical marker at Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Friends Neighborhood Guild building. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Front entrance of former "Budweiser's Bar". Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gardens of Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gazebo in Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gloria Dei/Old Swedes Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Greeting to all Slovak mothers. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Group in front of Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Herb garden of Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Historic Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church, 6th and Lombard Streets. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Interior of Anthony's Italian Coffee and Chocolate House. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Interior of barbershop on N 5th Street. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Iris Brown of Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Isgro Pasticceria. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Isgro Pastries storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Isgro Pastries storefront. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Italian & American Maccaroni Works. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Italian Market Festival Procession. Image provided by Maria Petrone Jacob C. White Jr.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania James Family at community paint day. Image provided by Haftom Khasai James Forten. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania James Forten Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania James Forten Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania John R. Jackson. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Judy Buchsbaum of Marmelsteins. Image provided by Cross/Walks Julia and Aldo Allegrini wedding. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Kitchen at Las Parcelas Kitchen. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Kitchen equipment in casita at Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Kitchen in Las Parcelas casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lady of Good Council R.C. Church, Christian above 8th Sts.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas and Casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas and Casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas mural and footbridge. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Letter from Charles R. Douglass to Jacob C. White Jr.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Letter from Charles R. Douglass to Jacob C. White Jr.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Letter from Penn Provost Charles C. Harrison to W.E.B. Du Bois. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives Liberty Lands Park mural. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lombard Street Riot Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lombard Street Riot Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lombardi Family Films Map of Octavia Hill Properties. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mario Lanza. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Mario Lanza Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mario Lanza Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mario Lanza Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mario Lanza Park banner. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marmelstein's front window on Fabric Row. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marmelstein's front window on Fabric Row. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marmelstein's front window on Fabric Row. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marmelstein's front window on Fabric Row. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marshall Street: day old bakery. Image provided by Irv Orenstein Marshall Street: shoe store. Image provided by Irv Orenstein Meeting of the Pennsylvania Base Ball Association. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Michele Martino / Nazareno Monticelli. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mousley Row. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mt. Tabor African Methodist Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mt. Tabor African Methodist Episcopal Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mural at Liberty Lands Park. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Mural at Mario Lanza Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Negro quarters. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives North 5th St. & W. Cambria St.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania North 5th Street Fair. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania North Mascher Street casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania North Mascher Street casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Northwest Corner, 11th Street and Washington Avenue. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Nuevo Mexico Grocery and Variety Store. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Octavius V. Catto. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Open air gazebo in Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Orianna Hill Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Orianna Hill Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Ortlieb's Brewery. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Ortlieb's Brewery. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Ortlieb's Brewery. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Oscar Hankinson. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Oscar Hankinson, retired principal of the McCall School and longtime resident of South Philadelphia. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Palumbo's sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Parrocchia Italiana. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Philadelphia Athletics envelope. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Philadelphia Glass Works. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Philadelphia Glass Works. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Philadelphia Glass Works. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Playground at Liberty Lands Park. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records PNC Bank at 8th and Christian. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Portrait of Richard Allen. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Poured beer (Schmidt's and Ortlieb's). Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Pulpit of Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Receipt from the A. J. Reach company for purchase of 6 belts by the Pythian Baseball club. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rev. William Green, Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Richard Allen. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Richard Allen Homes, 1942. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Richard Allen Homes, 1980. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Richard Buono's birthday party at Palumbo's. Image provided by Winnie Atterbury Rise of a City Church. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Robert Purvis. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Robert Smith-Shabazz in his studio. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Schmidt's Bottling House. Image provided by Charles Veasey Schmidt's Brewery. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Schmidt's Brewery. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Schmidt's Brewery. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Schmidt's Brewery and Tower. Image provided by Charles Veasey Schmidt's Brewery drivers. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Schmidt's Brewery entrance. Image provided by Charles Veasey Schmidt's Brewery entrance on 2nd Street. Image provided by Charles Veasey Schmidt's Tower at night. Image provided by Charles Veasey Schmidt's trucks. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Societa Italiana di Mutuo Soccorso e Beneficenza. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania South 4th Street, Land Use 1888. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Land Use 1905. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Land Use 1915. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Land Use 1921. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1880. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1900. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1910. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1920. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Nationality/Ethnicity 1930. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Occupations 1880. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Occupations 1900. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Occupations 1910. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Occupations 1920. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Occupations 1930. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Total Population 1880. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Total Population 1900. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Total Population 1910. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Total Population 1920. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design South 4th Street, Total Population 1930. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Southeast Corner - 9th Street and Washington Avenue. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records St. Agnes-St. John's Neopmucene Roman Catholic Church plaque. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Agnes-St. John's Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Agnes-St. John's Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Agnes-St. John's Nepomucene Roman Catholic Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Standard Tap. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Standard Tap. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Standard Tap. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Taller Puertorriqueño. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Taller Puertorriqueño. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Antiquarian's Delight. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Antiquarian's Delight. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Antiquarian's Delight. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Lighthouse mural. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records The Procession of St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi mural. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Seventh Ward of Philadelphia. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives Tim McFarlane (Essene Market and Café). Image provided by Cross/Walks Title page of "The Philadelphia Negro". Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Tomasita Romero and Iris Brown. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Tour group at Liberty Lands Park mural. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Two Neighbors. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Vietnamese Hung Vuong Association. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania View of Schmidt's Brewery neighborhood. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives W.E.B. Du Bois at Paris Exposition, 1900. Image provided by W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst W.E.B. Du Bois historical marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania W.E.B. Du Bois portrait. Image provided by W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst W.E.B. Du Bois portrait. Image provided by W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst W.E.B. Du Bois' data card. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives W.E.B. Du Bois' receipt for printing. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives W.E.B. Du Bois' receipt for printing. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1880. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1900. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1910. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1920. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1930. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design West side of 9th Street. Image provided by Mariella Esposito Window of Fante's, 1956. Image provided by Mariella Esposito
Prev Media 1-3 of 245 Next
[X]
Prev Photo X of Y Next
Prev Photo X of Y Next