Marmelstein's: "We've All Lived Above the Store" — An Interview with Judy Buchsbaum

Prev Story 2 of 2 Next

When Abraham Marmelstein arrived in Philadelphia before the First World War, he carried nothing more than a few possessions. He started a life with those belongings, selling fabric and trimmings door-to-door, as a sort of neighborhood traveling salesman. In 1919 he brought his wife Dora to the United States, and they upgraded their business to one of the many pushcarts along South 4th Street. In 1937, the Marmelstein’s purchased the three-story building at 760 South 4th Street, and the family business has resided there ever since.

The Marmelstein’s ran their fabric and trimmings shop from the first floor, lived on the second floor, and rented out the apartment on the third floor to help them pay for the building. Over the years, many family members have lived above the store, including Judy Buchsbaum, the current owner and granddaughter of Abraham and Dora. Marmelstein’s now operates out of two buildings on 4th Street, as well as a warehouse further west on Washington Avenue.




760 South 4th St.

View in Google


South Philadelphia

Shot Tower Conveyed Site of the Southwark Soup Society Weccacoe Engine Co.'s House, and Reception of United Fire Co. of Baltimore Court having nine small houses in rear of a tenement house Mario Lanza Park banner Pelzer Funeral Home Southwark/Queen Village Community Garden Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church St. Stanislaus Catholic Church Housefronts on 600 Block of Kater Street Bedford Street Mission The Antiquarian's Delight Marmelstein's front window on Fabric Row Casa Ravello Milk Station House of Industry historical marker Graphic Sketch Club Julia and Aldo Allegrini wedding L'Opinione: Il Departmento Circolazione Vietnamese Hung Vuong Association Curtis Publishing Plant/Lofts at Bella Vista Isgro Pastries storefront St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church Verdi Hall Lady of Good Council R.C. Church, Christian above 8th Sts. Interior of Luigi Fiorella Meat Market Italian & American Maccaroni Works Dan Khang Nha Trang sign Anthony's Chocolate House exterior D'Angelo's Specialty Meats storefront Playbill for the "The Passion Play of Christ"  presented by the Filodramatic Circle Gasperinese, 1931 The Procession of St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi mural Fante-Leone Public Pool Cannuli Brothers storefront Talluto's Authentic Italian Food storefront Grassia's Italian Market Spice Company Lupita's Grocery Store storefront Paul Giordano Sr. Saigon Maxim restaurant Jefferson Square Mia (left) and Mary (right) Viola St. Maron's Church exterior Bitar's Eastern Mediterranean Grill Southeast Corner - 9th Street and Washington Avenue Washington Avenue Immigration Station
Prev Tour Stop 13 of 44 Next
Prev Photo X of Y Next
Prev Photo X of Y Next