Pythian Baseball Club Headquarters

Founded in 1867, the Pythians were Philadelphia's first black baseball club. Although they played in Fairmount Park, the Pythians used this building, Liberty Hall at the Institute for Colored Youth, for their club house. The Pythians were founded by prominent young African American leaders, Jacob C. White Jr. and Octavius V. Catto. Catto and White viewed baseball as more than just a pastime; they believed the game could be a vehicle for black self-improvement. Baseball was literally another field upon which African Americans could assert their skills and independence, and prove their right to full citizenship and equality. In 1867, the Pythians were refused membership in the National Association of Base Ball Players, solely on the basis of race. This set the precedent for the segregated major leagues as well as for the independent Negro Leagues that flourished in 20th century.

Many of the Pythian members were affiliated with Quaker-sponsored Institute for Colored Youth (now Cheyney University), a prestigious black teacher's college and intellectual hub of African American Philadelphia. The institute, located at 715 Lombard in the heart of the Cedar Street corridor, taught higher mathematics, classical languages, literature, and philosophy as well as the ideals of individual freedom and equal rights.

The founders of the Pythian Baseball Club were educators and equal rights activists. White was the principal of the Robert Vaux School and president of the Frederick Douglass Memorial Hospital. Catto, called "Philadelphia's Renaissance man" by historian Andrew Waskie, was the Pythians' manager and star player — second baseman and shortstop — but is better known as an educator, Civil War veteran, and civil-rights activist. He was an early graduate and later president of the Institute for Colored Youth.

For European immigrants, playing baseball — "America's Game" — whether in a city park or on a professional diamond, was often a route to American cultural assimilation and integration. But this path to mainstream America was denied African Americans.

In 1871, while trying to organize Philadelphia's African American voters, Catto was assassinated by white rioters just blocks from his home. Six days later, shops and businesses closed for the day as Catto was honored with Philadelphia's largest public funeral since Lincoln; the cortege included a procession of his fellow Pythians. In June 2006, the City of Philadelphia kicked off a $1.5 million fundraising campaign to erect a statue honoring Octavius Valentine Catto at City Hall.

References

  • Casway, Jerrold. "Octavius Catto and the Pythians of Philadelphia." Pennsylvania Legacies vol. 7, no. 1 (May 2007): 5-9.
  • Shiffert, John. Base Ball in Philadelphia: A History of the Early Game, 1831-1900. Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Co., 2006.

Map

Map

Address

718 Lombard Street

View in Google

Tour

South Philadelphia

Gloria Dei (Old Swedes') Church Shot Tower Conveyed Hancock Street Houses Site of the Southwark Soup Society Weccacoe Engine Co.'s House, and Reception of United Fire Co. of Baltimore Church of St. Philip Neri Court having nine small houses in rear of a tenement house Mario Lanza Park banner Pelzer Funeral Home Southwark/Queen Village Community Garden Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance Budweiser's Bar Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church St. Stanislaus Catholic Church James Forten Kesher Israel Synagogue B'nai Abraham synagogue Mt. Tabor African Methodist Church Lombard Street Riot Historical Marker Octavius V. Catto W.E.B. Du Bois portrait Firefighter Stephen Presco, Engine 11 Housefronts on 600 Block of Kater Street Bedford Street Mission The Antiquarian's Delight Retail Depot of the Great Philadelphia Made Clothing N. Snellenburg & Co. Curb Market, 4th Street and South Street Famous 4th Street Delicatessen sign 4th Street, 1940 Marmelstein's front window on Fabric Row Casa Ravello Milk Station House of Industry historical marker Graphic Sketch Club Julia and Aldo Allegrini wedding L'Opinione: Il Departmento Circolazione Vietnamese Hung Vuong Association Curtis Publishing Plant/Lofts at Bella Vista Isgro Pastries storefront St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church Verdi Hall Italian Market, 1947 Lady of Good Council R.C. Church, Christian above 8th Sts. Interior of Luigi Fiorella Meat Market Italian & American Maccaroni Works Dan Khang Nha Trang sign Anthony's Chocolate House exterior D'Angelo's Specialty Meats storefront Playbill for the "The Passion Play of Christ"  presented by the Filodramatic Circle Gasperinese, 1931 The Procession of St. Mary Magdalen de Pazzi mural Fante-Leone Public Pool Cannuli Brothers storefront Talluto's Authentic Italian Food storefront Grassia's Italian Market Spice Company Lupita's Grocery Store storefront Paul Giordano Sr. Saigon Maxim restaurant Jefferson Square Mia (left) and Mary (right) Viola St. Maron's Church exterior Bitar's Eastern Mediterranean Grill Southeast Corner - 9th Street and Washington Avenue Washington Avenue Immigration Station
Prev Tour Stop 20 of 62 Next

Media

"A Full and Complete Account of the Late Awful Riots in Philadelphia": cover. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania "A Full and Complete Account of the Late Awful Riots in Philadelphia": Soldier from 1844 Nativist Riots. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania "The life and adventures of Charles Anderson Chester" title page. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania "The life and adventures of Charles Anderson Chester": California House riot. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania "The life and adventures of Charles Anderson Chester": Charles Anderson Chester Murdered by Black Herkles. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania 9th Street and Washington Avenue. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records A Group of boys of the Guild. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania African Zoar Methodist Episcopal Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania African Zoar Methodist Episcopal Church Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania African-American population on 9th Street, 1880-1920. Image provided by Shimrit Keddem Agnes Hatcher: Longtime resident of Northern Liberties. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Aims of the Friends Neighborhood Guild. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania B'nai Abraham synagogue. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania B'nai Abraham synagogue. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Basketball court at Sacks Playground. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, Philad.. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Boy in Norris Square Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Brown St above 4th St.. Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Budweiser's Bar. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Casita at Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Children at Friends Neighborhood Guild. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Commentator, Demolition of the Tannery. Image provided by Jennifer Baker Community paint day at the W.E.B. Du Bois and Engine 11 mural. Image provided by Haftom Khasai Death of George Shifler, in Kensington. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Deputy Fire Commissioner, Ernest Hargett, Jr.. Image provided by Haftom Khasai El Colobo Community Garden. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church foundation. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church front entrance. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church steeple. Image provided by Emanuel Lutheran Church Emily Squires at community paint day at the W.E.B. Du Bois and Engine 11 mural. Image provided by Haftom Khasai Emmanuel Full Gospel Temple sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Emmanuel Full Temple Gospel. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Engine 11 Fire Company building. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Engine 11, award presentation. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Engine 11, group portrait. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Engine 11, group portrait. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Engine 11, group portrait. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Exterior view of Casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Firefighter Isaac Jacobs, Engine 11. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Firefighter Stephen Presco, Engine 11. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Fireman John R. Jackson. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Former Kensington mill girl now a suffrage speaker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Free African Society Historical marker at Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Friends Neighborhood Guild building. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Friends Neighborhood Guild building, 151 Fairmount Ave.. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Front entrance of former "Budweiser's Bar". Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gazebo in Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gianna's Grille at 6th and Lombard. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Gloria Dei/Old Swedes Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Group in front of Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Guild House building, 1967. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Guild House entrance. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Guild House Groundbreaking. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Guild House sign. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Guild House, under construction. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Herb garden of Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Historic Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church, 6th and Lombard Streets. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Interior of barbershop on N 5th Street. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Italian Market Festival Procession. Image provided by Maria Petrone James Family at community paint day. Image provided by Haftom Khasai James Forten. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania James Forten Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania James Forten Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania John R. Jackson. Image provided by Fireman's Hall Museum Kitchen at Las Parcelas Kitchen. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Kitchen equipment in casita at Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas and Casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas and Casita. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Las Parcelas mural and footbridge. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Letter from Penn Provost Charles C. Harrison to W.E.B. Du Bois. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives Lighthouse Boys Club halfball player. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lighthouse Girls' Club Basketball Team. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lombard Street Riot Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Lombard Street Riot Historical Marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Map of Octavia Hill Properties. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mario Lanza Park. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Marshall Street: day old bakery. Image provided by Irv Orenstein Marshall Street: shoe store. Image provided by Irv Orenstein Mt. Tabor African Methodist Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Mt. Tabor African Methodist Episcopal Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Negro quarters. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Older boys at university camp. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Open air gazebo in Las Parcelas. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Oscar Hankinson. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Oscar Hankinson, retired principal of the McCall School and longtime resident of South Philadelphia. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Pelzer Funeral Home. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Pelzer Funeral Home. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church exterior. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Portrait of Richard Allen. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Puerto Rican Boy Scout Troop 310. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Pulpit of Mother Bethel A.M.E. Church. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records Rev. William Green, Phillips Temple Christian Methodist Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Richard Allen. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Richard Allen Homes, 1942. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Richard Allen Homes, 1980. Image provided by Temple University Urban Archives Robert Purvis. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Robert Smith-Shabazz in his studio. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Sacks Playground baseball diamond. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Sparks Shot Tower Playground baseball diamond. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania St. Augustine's Church. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Starr Garden Playground. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania The Lighthouse mural. Image provided by City of Philadelphia Department of Records The Seventh Ward of Philadelphia. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives Tim McFarlane (Essene Market and Café). Image provided by Cross/Walks Title page from "Causes of the Kensington Riots explained". Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Title page from "The Dutchman's Letters to Daniel O'Connell". Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania Title page of "The Philadelphia Negro". Image provided by Library Company of Philadelphia Two Neighbors. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania W.E.B. Du Bois at Paris Exposition, 1900. Image provided by W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst W.E.B. Du Bois historical marker. Image provided by Historical Society of Pennsylvania W.E.B. Du Bois portrait. Image provided by W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst W.E.B. Du Bois portrait. Image provided by W.E.B. Du Bois Library, University of Massachusetts Amherst W.E.B. Du Bois' data card. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives W.E.B. Du Bois' receipt for printing. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives W.E.B. Du Bois' receipt for printing. Image provided by Univ. of Pennsylvania Archives Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1880. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1900. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1910. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1920. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design Wallace/Lynd Street (Originally Paschall's Alley), Race/Ethnicity 1930. Image provided by University of Pennsylvania School of Design
Prev Media 1-3 of 125 Next
[X]
Prev Photo X of Y Next
Prev Photo X of Y Next