House of Industry Site
Founded in 1846 by the Philadelphia Society for Employment & Instruction of the Poor, the House of Industry was a shelter where homeless and immigrants (mostly English-speaking from the British Isles) worked making shoes, clothing, rugs, baskets and brushes. The program was designed to facilitate entrance into the American industrial economy. When Italians moved into the area, its services shifted from providing shelter and work to offering English and citizenship classes.
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania. "Bella Vista: Philadelphia's Little Italy." Self-guided walking tour printed guide, Philadelphia, PA: Historical Society of Pennsylvania Honors Summer History Institute, 1983.
- Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. "House of Industry." Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission Markers Program. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?objID=442806&mode=2&open=514&markerId=347
- United Communities Southeast Philadelphia. United Communities Southeast Philadelphia History: http://www.ucsep.org/about_us.html